Monday, January 4, 2016

Monday in the life of a writer!


It’s the first Monday of the New Year and I’m sitting at the computer with a cup of coffee in hand.  Since it’s my second or maybe third cup, I’m drinking it black.  Since it’s the last day of the holiday break, I slept until six a.m.  That’s late for me and probably early for most of my readers.  Most mornings I get up at 5 or before so I can get the coffee going, check emails, take a shower, and read the paper before I make breakfast and pack my son’s lunch for school.  If I’m subbing, I prepare my lunch too and prepare for school by fixing my hair and choosing a dress casual outfit.  At home, I’m more likely to be found in jeans and a T shirt.  Recent favorite shirts include my Red Pony Café shirt from the Longmire series of books and television series and a Beatles tee.  It’s cold this morning so I’m wearing a jacket too.  In a little while, I’m going to shred the last of the leftover pork roast from New Year’s Day, add some barbecue sauce, and toss it into the Crockpot for pulled pork sandwiches later.

            A quick survey of my kitchen revealed I’m running low on both bread and milk, probably the most common things I need from the supermarket so I’m planning a quick trip to pick those up.  At the same time, I’ll return the new shorts I bought for my son’s PE classes this semester because they proved to be too large and exchange them for a pair that fits.  After that, I should be able to settle down to continue with my writing day.

            A writing day includes more than working on my current work in progress.  At the moment, my main WIP is a contemporary romance tentatively titled Canaan’s Land.  My main character is a young farmer named Canaan Moss and like many of my other works, its set here at home.  My day will include some additional advance promo for my upcoming joint book signing, Murder and Romance, in Springfield on January 16th, updating my blog address around the internet, and working on a short story I hope to submit to a national contest by the end of the month deadline.

            I recently downsized to one blog and changed the address to be easier to find.  A Page In The Life has been around for several years now but I learned after the fact I need to update the new address in several places including my Amazon author page so readers can find it once again. 

            I hope to spend time perusing my new copy of the Novel and Short Story Writer’s Market I bought with the Amazon gift card my husband gave me for Christmas and to utilize the online access it also provides.

            Somewhere along the way, in between food preparation, some laundry, a little light housekeeping, and that trip to the store, I want to put down a number of words.  First on my to-do list this morning is this column so once it’s complete, I’ll send it off, then move to the next item on the list.

            By the end of the day, I hope for a little down time reading and relaxing.

            Tomorrow life kicks back into high gear.  Whether or not I end up subbing, my son has school and I have to plan my day around his schedule and of my other family members as well.

More events, more happenings to work around but I will.  It’s what I do on a day in a writer’s life!

1 comment:

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg