Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Fairy Tales, Myths, and Novels - From Author K D Grace, our guest today

It's always a pleasure to welcome another author here at A Page In The Life but all the more so when the guest shares some of my interests!  Like K D Grace, I grew up intrigued with mythology and spent many years reading all the Greek, Roman, Native American, and Celtic mythology I could lay my hands and eyes upon.   That said, I'm turning everything over to my guest today, talented author K D Grace!



Myths and Fairy Tales and Our Animal Nature
By K D Grace

Thanks for having me on your amazing site, Lee Ann. It’s a pleasure to be here and talk about my Pets.
I’ve always been fascinated with fairy tales and myths. I grew up with my mother reading fairy tales to me. I discovered Greek mythology in sixth grade science when I had to do a report on the constellation Andromeda and inadvertently discovered the myth, which, at the time, impressed me almost as much as the constellation. After that, I read every book of Greek mythology I could get my hands on from both the school and the public library.

Fairy tales and myths were always a fabulous jumping off place for my imagination. My brother and sister were much older than I was. They were already out on their own when I was growing up, so for all practical purposes, I was an only child. That made for a lot of imaginary friends and games of pretend. No doubt that has influenced my writing. The myths have nurtured the fantastical side of my imagination. The fairy tales have kindled the love of happy-ever-aftering.

My first novel, The Initiation of Ms Holly, was a romp into mythology, with a retelling of the Psyche and Eros story. My new novel, The Pet Shop, revisits the fairy tale, Beauty and the Beast. In part the story is our effort to understand the beast that lives within all of us and our desire to tame that beast and make it acceptable to polite company. The problem with the taming of anything wild is that we run the risk of losing the very wildness that compelled us to love it in the first place. The Pet Shop explores the effort to find a balance between the two.

I’ve always been fascinated with our animal nature, and saddened at our efforts either to get rid of it or pretend it isn’t there. To me, that animal part of us is one of the very best facets of our humanity. It’s the playful, uninhibited part of us. It is also the part that connects us to the earth and grounds us in the natural world. I’ve often wondered how much of our animal nature is ancestral behaviours reasserting themselves and how much is simply a need to be loved and adored, and to be able to trust someone enough to give up control to them. Giving up control is something we humans don’t do very well because it’s an act that requires so much trust.  These are all issues that fascinate me, issues that are key from the standpoint of the human pet situation I’ve created in The Pet Shop.

Beauty and the Beast and my retelling of it in The Pet Shop are both about seeing the true nature of a person, with all their flaws and neuroses, and loving them anyway. But ultimately the story is also about trusting enough to allow oneself to be loved, and believing that one is worthy of love, warts, blemishes and all.

*****

An erotic novel by best-selling author K D Grace.

In appreciation for a job well done, STELLA JAMES 's boss sends her a pet – a human pet. The mischievous TINO comes straight from THE PET SHOP complete with a collar, a leash, and an erection. Stella soon discovers the pleasure of keeping Pets, especially this one, is extremely addicting.

Obsessed with Tino and with the reclusive philanthropist, VINCENT EVANSTON, who looks like Tino, but couldn’t be more different, Stella is drawn into the secret world of The Pet Shop. As her animal lust awakens, Stella must walk the thin line that separates the business of pleasure from the more dangerous business of the heart or suffer the consequences.

Available from:





*****
K D Grace was born with a writing obsession. It got worse once she actually learned HOW to write. There's no treatment for it. It's progressive and chronic and quite often interferes with normal, everyday functioning. She might actually be concerned if it wasn't so damned much fun most of the time.

K D's erotic romance novels, The Initiation of Ms Holly and The Pet Shop, both published by Xcite Books, are available from all good paperback and eBook retailers.

Her erotica has been published with Xcite Books, Mammoth, Cleis Press, Black Lace, Erotic Review, Ravenous Romance, Sweetmeats Press and Scarlet Magazine.

Find out more about K D Grace on her website, http://kdgrace.co.uk. She's also on Facebook and Twitter.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you completely on our need to explore and keep the animal side, even if we do have to balance it with living in society. And exploring it through sex puts us in a vulnerable place. I like what you say about the importance of giving up control. It does come down to issues of trust, and I think it's that fear of letting go that sometimes gets in the way of people pursuing relationships or holding onto them. We're naturally self-protective maybe?

    But to have a safe place to be yourself with a person you trust can lead to some of the best feelings of release and liberation, which ultimately is self-power (in a much better way!).

    I love your bio on the progressive, chronic, but so damned fun thing we do. :) Can't wait to read this novel!

    Trish DeVene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trish,

    I think trust is one of the most important issues we writers of fiction deal with in our work because everything that happens, especially in romance, hinges upon trusting enough to let another person in a little more and a little more and a little more until relationship happens. Scary stuff, but powerful and wonderful stuff. And I'm so glad I get to write about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lee Ann, for hosting me on your fabulous site! I tried to post a comment yesterday, but must have been in my techno-dunce mode. It's been a pleasure.

    I grew up in Missouri. The northeast part, actually. Went to university in Kirksville. But have many fond memories of the Show Me State.

    Thanks again!

    K D

    ReplyDelete

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg