Monday, October 10, 2011

Welcome Author Karenna Colcroft, author of "What We Did Last Night"

Welcome to my guest this fine Monday - author Karenna Colcroft.  She's here to talk about her latest release, What We Did Last Night from Ellora's Cave.

The title alone intrigues me and makes me eager to read this erotic novella.  I immediately found myself wondering who they are and what they did so I'm putting this one on my TBR list!

Here is the awesome cover (just kinds makes me want to do whatever it is they did last night with that hunk)....followed by the interview with author Karenna Colcroft.




How long have you been a writer? 

I guess that depends on how you define “writer”. I wrote my first story when I was five years old, thirty-six years ago, and wrote all through elementary school, junior high, high school, and college. I gave up writing for about ten years during my first marriage, then went back to it. So if you define “writer” as “someone who writes”, it’s been thirty-six years. However, my first publication didn’t happen until 2002, with one other in 2005, and I’ve only been getting published regularly (and in the erotic romance genre) since March of 2009.


What do you like most about writing? And the least?

What I like most is creating new worlds and characters, and I have to admit I like the control I have over what happens to the people in my stories. What I like the least is submitting my books; I always sit there waiting to hear back from the publisher and thinking, “They’re going to hate it!”



Did you dream of growing up to be a writer or did it just happen?

I’ve always wanted to be published, even before I wrote my first story. I made up stories when I was too young to have learned how to write them down, and even back then I wanted to see my stories in books some day.


Tell us about your latest or coming soon book(s). What inspired it?

My latest book is What We Did Last Night, an erotic romance novella—emphasis on “erotic”—from Ellora’s Cave. It’s about Lissa, a woman who has spent six months in “self-imposed dating exile” after a messy break-up with her last boyfriend. Now she’s ready to get back into the dating world, but doesn’t want anything too emotional, so she goes to a club looking for a one-night stand. She finds it with Ross, a man who pushes all the right buttons with Lissa, but Ross is looking for more than one night. It was inspired by a dream I had one night in which a woman was dancing at a club and a man came up behind her and started fondling her while they were dancing, and ordered her not to turn around to look at him.

Was there a lot of research involved in creating this book?

None at all. I try not to write books that take a lot of research; I’ll do research if I have to, but I’m kind of lazy…


How much time did it take from writing your first book to having it published?

The first book I ever wrote will never be published; I was only twelve and it would need to be completely rewritten. The first erotic romance story I wrote with the intention of submitting it to publishers, I think it was about six months from writing to publication.


Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task?

I multi-task. I really don’t have much choice, since along with the erotic romance, I write young adult fiction under a different pen name. If I tried one project at a time, I would never finish all the projects I have lined up. Plus multi-tasking means that if I get stuck on one story, I can switch over and work on another until the block goes away.


When not writing, how do you relax?

Usually just watching TV and reading. I don’t have any hobbies.

Please tell us what you got coming up and what you may be working on in the future?

I have two related releases coming up, and I’m not sure which will be out first. Veggie Burgers to Go is the second book in my series Real Werewolves Don’t Eat Meat; the first book, Salad on the Side, was released in June from MLR Press. I don’t have a release date yet for Veggie Burgers. I also have a Real Werewolves Christmas short, “Tofurkey and Yams”, which will be released from MLR on December 26 as part of their “Jingle This” holiday story promotion.

Right now I have two books under consideration. Remind Me is an erotic romance novella that I’ve submitted to Ellora’s Cave, about a married couple who realizes that they’ve lost their sexual spark, so go to somewhat humorous—and very hot—extremes to get it back. That’s the first book in what will become a series if the book is accepted. The other one under consideration is a paranormal (werewolf) romance, Beta Test. It’s set in the same universe as Real Werewolves Don’t Eat Meat, and is being considered by MLR’s sister hetero romance imprint Passion in Print.

I’ve just started working on a new M/M novel that doesn’t have a title yet, about a race of sorcerers who gain magic by taking pieces of human souls during sex. One sorcerer, whose temporary name is Joel, is careful to only take tiny pieces of soul, and sometimes replaces them with pieces he’s taken from others and hasn’t used. The other sorcerers “soul rip” humans, leaving the human either catatonic or dead. Joel works against his fellow sorcerers when he can, and when he meets a human man whose soul is particularly appealing, he has to decide whether to use him or save him.


What’s a guilty pleasure you have?

I watch the TV shows “Teen Mom” and “Degrassi.” For those who may not have heard of them, “Teen Mom” is an MTV series about four girls who became pregnant as teenagers; it’s reality programming with a huge amount of drama. “Degrassi” is a Canadian teen series that’s also broadcast in the US, and is essentially a soap opera for teens. It’s been on the air consistently since 2000, I think, and back in the late 1980s there was a different incarnation of it.


Where can we find you on the ‘net?


Twitter: @KarennaColcroft



Now that we've met Karenna, let's move on to the story with a blurb, excerpt, buy link, and of course that cover one more time!!


Blurb for What We Did Last Night:

After six months of self-imposed dating exile, Lissa is ready to get back on the horse. She isn’t looking for a date, just a one-night fling with the hottest man she can find—and she finds Ross, a guy who takes control and orders Lissa into one of her wildest fantasies.

When Lissa runs into him again the very next evening, Ross wants another chance to do what they did last night…




Excerpt:

He yanked her against him and cupped her ass with both hands. Before she could take a breath he crushed his lips against hers so hard she felt his teeth through their lips. Her nipples stiffened again and moisture rushed to her pussy. She hadn’t been touched this way in longer than she remembered. Her previous lover had prided himself on being gentle, even when she’d told him that sometimes gentle just flat didn’t do it for her.

This kiss with Ross did all kinds of things for her. She barely managed to catch her breath but it hardly mattered. Her body, her libido and her desire were the only things she focused on.

He broke the kiss as abruptly as he’d begun it and swatted her ass before he let her go. “Preview of coming attractions. Now let’s find your friend.”

Dazed and hornier than ever, Lissa pushed her way through the crowd with Ross so close behind her his breath warmed the skin of her neck below her pixie-cut hair. They dodged elbows, drinks and a couple of fists as Lissa tried to scan the crowd for Kerri. She hadn’t seen her friend in at least an hour but she knew Kerri wouldn’t have left without letting her know. She had to still be somewhere.

After a few minutes Ross clamped his hand on her shoulder. “Do you have a cell phone?”

“Of course.” She fished it out of the tiny purse she’d slung across her chest and held it up.

“Text her,” Ross suggested. “This is like looking for a needle in a haystack and I’m not patient enough for that.” He again brought her hand to his cock, which felt even harder than before. “Keep this up and I’ll fuck you on the dance floor.”

A thrill ran through Lissa at the thought of being taken in public. Her face heated. She’d never been an exhibitionist either. Apparently the night and Ross were having more of an effect on her than she’d realized. Or maybe it was just the daiquiri.

She texted Kerri that she was ready to leave and waited for a reply. She spotted Kerri standing at the edge of the dance floor just as the response hit her phone and she took Ross’ hand and led him to her friend.

Kerri’s eyes widened slightly when she saw Lissa holding Ross’ hand, then she smiled. “I see going out tonight was a good idea after all. You’re leaving, you said?”

“Yes.” Lissa braced herself for her friend’s argument.

“Can I speak to you privately?” Kerri’s glance at Ross clearly told him to get lost.

“I’ll be at the front door.” Ross slid his hand over Lissa’s ass. “Remember, don’t make me wait too long. Ten minutes and I’m gone.” He winked and smiled at her. “Probably.”

The last word was all that kept Lissa from seeing him as a total jerk, though his command sent another frisson of desire through her. She did like a man who took charge. “I’ll be there,” Lissa promised. Unless Kerri talks me out of it. Not that she planned to let her friend talk her out of the one thing she’d really wanted in the past six months.

Ross walked away without looking back. Lissa watched him go, admiring his ass in the just-right-tight jeans until she no longer saw him through the crowd. Then she turned back to Kerri, who was watching her with an impatient frown. “You just met him tonight,” Kerri said.

“We danced,” Lissa replied. “We kissed. We fondled. I want him, Kerri.”



My thanks to Karenna Colcroft for coming by today and sharing so much about herself and her new release.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interview, Lee Ann! And I spoke too soon..Beta Test isn't under consideration yet. It was supposed to be submitted Saturday but I've fallen behind. So it will be submitted later today to Passion in Print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the story concept. Congratulations on your release. You sound very busy! You definitely hit the ground running after your first sale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the excerpt! Congrats on the Release, and wishing you great Sales!

    hugs, Kari Thomas, www.authorkari.com

    ReplyDelete

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg