Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Straight Shot of Shyla Colt - Focus on "The Wanting"

I'd like to welcome fellow author Shyla Colt to my blog today to talk about her writing career and get the scoop on her newest release, already an All Romance Ebooks best seller, The Wanting (Evernight Publishing)

Let's take a few moments to get to know Shyla.....

How long have you been a writer? 

It’s cliché to say all my life. But I’ve written for as long as I can remember.  I will say the first novel I wrote was when I was fifteen.


What do you like most about writing? And the least?

The thing I love the most is creating new characters and telling the story unique to them.  I’m like a kid in a candy story when the ideal first strikes and  I start brainstorming.  What I like the least is writers block. Those slow periods you have to work through to keep the writing flowing.


Did you dream of growing up to be a writer or did it just happen?

I always dreamed of being a writer at some point. I just didn’t know “When”.


Tell us about your latest or coming soon book(s). What inspired it?


I’ve always had a soft spot for aliens. So much so, that I took a trip to Roswell, NM for my twenty-fifth birthday.  While I was in the UFO library center in Roswell I came up with the concept of a royal family forced from their planet in the stars, and down to earth. I’ve carried the four brothers of that royal family around in my head for years. But it wasn’t until Zasha, the female lead of my story The Wanting introduced herself that I was ready to really write the series.


Was there a lot of research involved in creating this book?

 I’m originally from Cincinnati, Oh which is close to where this story takes place. So a lot of the settings were a walk down memory lane, which really made this a labor of love.


How much time did it take from writing your first book to having it published?

Hmm, I’ll say about three months.


Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task?

I like to have two going at one time. One which is my main focus, and another that I’m outlining or writing at a much slower pace. That way I get a break from the same thing every day.

When not writing, how do you relax?

I love to listen to music, and watch my favorite movies or t.v. shows.

Please tell us what you got coming up and what you may be working on in the future?

Well right now I’m working on the sequel to my first novel Don’t Fear The Reaper. I also have a shifter fiction with Breathless Press due in December called Wolf In Waiting.


What’s a guilty pleasure you have?

Does ice cream count? Lol.

Where can we find you on the ‘net?

My blog www.shyalcoltsstraightshot.wordpress.com   twitter @ShylaColt




Blurb

The Wanting :  Men of D’Shar Book 1


Phelan D’shar has known agent Zasha Johnson is his mate from the moment she walked into his classroom several years ago. Her age, and his responsibility kept him from staking his claim. But now that the biological mating period has befallen the alien king all bets are off. They come together in a rush of passion that scares Zasha right out of his bed. Zasha has avoided romantic entanglement her entire life after she witnessed the death of her mother at the hands of heralien beau. But the desire between them will not be denied. . Their struggle to meet in the middle is an entertaining trip fraught with passion, romance, humor and unexpected twists. 


Excerpt



“I don’t know what kind of alien sleight of hand you worked on me, but it needs to end.”

“D’Shar men mate for life. I told you this,” he said.

His demeanor softened by her shaken voice.

“I can’t eat or sleep, and when I do my dreams are filled with you,” Zasha said.

The darkness settled over them and wrapped them in its embrace like a blanket. The false intimacy it created along with their position between the trees concealed them from prying eyes. That knowledge made him bold.

“Tell me what you want me to do,” he said. His large hand slid up to free her hair from its constraint.

The heavy weight wrapped around his fingers. The contact between them served as a balm to the frayed nerves worn with each day that passed. Before they were civilized, his people’s behavior was deplorable. Public mating rituals were performed in front of the pack to prove their claim to all, and a fight to the death over the woman of their choice was considered normal. Much of the behavior had been bred out, and what was left was usually controllable. Her reluctance to admit their bond pushed him to the brink of his limitations. He’d never felt as alien as he did this past week.

“Relief, I need relief.”  Zasha’s voice had gone husky with need. Her slim fingers wound in his hair as her body trembled.

“Okay,” he said.

Phelan bent to take her lips with his own. The sweet flavor of peaches danced along his tongue as her nails scrapped his scalp. Her full lips were pillow soft against the gentle nips she administered turned aggressive as they moved from his mouth to his neck and back again. Tiny white teeth marked their territory, and he loved every moment. Zasha’s urgency was a delicious torture that overrode rational thought as he lowered her body down to the soft blanket below. Under the concealment of night they were nothing more than two lovers ensnared by the romance found in the classical chords.

“God, Phelan, I’ve missed this.  I’m so cold when you’re not around.”

“Then let me warm you,” he whispered into her ear.

His tongue traced the delicate shell of her ear before he indulged in the column of her neck. Zasha’s content sighs and the feel of her nails on his back beneath his shirt spurred him on. His hips ground into hers, the hardness between them unmistakable.

“Phelan,” she moaned. Her long legs spread as wide as she could manage in the pencil skirt fit of her dress.

“Shh, you have to be quiet.”

The corners of his mouth twitched upward at her hushed protest when he rolled off her and propped himself up onto an elbow. His lips dipped to cover hers once more as he eased up her skirt. His hand skimmed beneath the crisp cotton of her dress, and ran along the damp cloth barrier. Her cream had soaked through her panties and rolled down her thighs.



The Wanting to can be purchased at


Contact Shyla



Bio

Shyla Colt is a Sound and Lighting Engineer turned Stay-At-Home Mom with two main passions, music and the written word. Her stories are a blend of the paranormal laced with humor, passion, and a “je ne se qua” that she’d like to call all her own.

Married to her marine, she currently resides in sunny California where she allows her characters to tell her their stories while feeding her music addiction and raising her wild child. She credits John Hughes, Marvel comics, punk music and the first paranormal romance novel she picked up at thirteen for creating the unique muse that drives her





 Thanks to Shyla for visiting today - The Wanting sounds like an incredible read!




1 comment:

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg