Monday, September 19, 2011

Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush So Early In The Morning

Back in the day when I was a kid and my Monday routine meant a return to school, "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush" was one of those little songs children actually sang.  We didn't listen to it on a cute CD intended for children and if we sang it with music it would have been in music class with the teacher following on piano.  

Although it seems like a good song to recall on Monday morning - early on Monday at that - it seems important to point out that mulberries grow on trees, not bushes.   I know because my childhood home featured mulberry trees that flanked the driveway.   Why does the song use bushes? Maybe because an earlier version of this old fashioned English nursery rhyme said "bramble bush" and I guess "mulberry bush" sounds more poetic somehow.

The rest of the song goes on to to share "this is the way we wash our clothes" on Monday, iron on Tuesday, sweep the floor, scrub the floor, mend our clothes and so forth until Sunday when it says "this is the way we go to church".

I wash clothes every day of the week these days but long ago my grandmother did her main washing on Monday just like the song says.

There's not a verse for "this is the way we write our books" or anything that fits my present occupation but as I settle in at the keyboard early on this Monday morning, the old rhyme popped into my head offering up a little food for thought.

After a rainy weekend with a lot of busy activity and with a week ahead filled with its' own set of obstacles and trials, it's back to the routine.   So today at least I'll begin with that old familiar tune echoing through my head as I think "this is the way that we get through the day so early in the morning".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg