Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Looking Back Wednesday - Family Photos And More

A proverb I learned as a child says that in order to know where you are going, you must first know where you have been.   There is a a great deal of truth to that and maybe it's one of many reasons that I possess a lifelong fascination for family history and why I've been tracing my own since I was a child no more than eleven or twelve.

Thanks to some recent reconnections within the family circle, I've been digging out old pictures and in my very limited spare time dipping into the past searching for new clues.   I somehow have fallen into the role of what some of my Sontheimer cousins call "keeper of the family fire", a reference to Native American tradition in which someone keeps the fire burning.

Here are a few of the pictures I pulled out of my grandmother's cedar chest and scanned:
My great-grandparents Ben and Annie Hayward in their side yard, south 9th street, St. Joseph, MO circa 1925

 My great-grandmother, Annie, with her daughter (to the left with the pump - my grandmother, Hazel) and a niece behind
 My great-grandparents with two of the first great-grandchildren....born over a more than forty year span of time from the 1920's to the 1960's.  The little boy in the neat suit looks like he walked out of the pages of a Scott Fitzgerald novel!
 This is later and different side of the family tree - my maternal great-grandmother is the petite woman seated at the counter, taken 1950 at Merna's Cafe in St. Joseph, MO
This fashionable woman is one of my great-grandmother's many sisters, Julie King Sneed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg