Monday, August 29, 2011

It Makes A Lovely Light

 


            I’ve always loved the poetry of Edna St. Vincent Millay and admired her freewheeling Greenwich Village lifestyle.  My literature teachers back in high school failed to mention that Vincent, as she was known to her friends, was openly bisexual in a time when almost any mention of sex came across as taboo to polite society.  She lived large and did as she pleased.  Millay also wrote any and everything she thought she could find an editor to accept.  I admire her work and freedom and she’d be one writer I’d love to sit down with over coffee.  Hell, I’d love to take her to the corner tavern for a drink!  Although our lives and careers have some major differences, my favorite quotation from her poetry has become my unofficial mantra, “My candle burns at both ends, it will not last the night, but ah, my friends, and oh my foes, it makes a lovely light.”

            Now that my own writing career kicked into high gear, my own candle burns at both ends and I often have to remind myself to slow down a little so I don’t burn out.  My first novel debuted at the end of 2010, not quite eight months ago and by the end of the year I’ll have nine novels available along with several more shorter works.   Five years ago, my first anthology appearance delighted me and now, when the next three that were gracious enough to accept my work debut this fall (Jack-o-Spec from Raven Electrick Press, Midnight Seduction from Evernight Publishing and Stories From The Hearth, Woodland Press) I will count twenty different anthologies, most of them fiction, on my bookshelf in my living room.

            A friend of mine with some experience in the music business once warned me that once things started to take off with my writing, everything would happen fast and he’s right – it has at full warp speed.  That takes some adjustment for a Missouri girl raising three kids, struggling at times to pay all the bills, with a husband who supports my writing and a Jack Russell who hasn’t figured out yet just what happened to make me so busy.  Some of my family members are my biggest cheerleaders and others yawn like my accomplishments are just ho-hum boring.  My local reputation changed from “she writes that column for the paper” to “heck, yes, she’s an author”.

            Around the house, except for the long hours (growing longer by the day) hours that I work things haven’t changed much.  Just about two years ago I knuckled down to get serious about writing and selling novels.  When I started treating my writing like a real job – meaning I gave it both precedence and priority over mundane things like vacuuming the floor or dusting the drapes, my efforts began to pay off with increasing regularity.   I think that was a major key in shifting from a freelance writer who wrote the odd bit of fiction here and there to becoming an author.

            Those long hours focus on writing new projects, editing accepted works and the ceaseless promotion efforts.   In between all that, I still get my three kids up each morning and off to school, manage to feed my family, keep the house reasonably clean, serve on the local library board, and volunteer in my parish as much as I can.   It’s a busy life but it’s mine and I wouldn’t trade it for another.  I work hard to keep it going and it’s worth that effort.



            I often have to sit down and count these up myself to keep track but here, for the current moment, are my current works – not including the anthologies –

Wolfe’s Lady, paranormal romance, Evernight Publishing, December 2010

Love Tattoo, paranormal romance, Love Covenant Series book 1, Evernight, March 2011

Love Never Fails, contemporary romance, Rebel Ink Press, May 2011 (eBook) paperback, June 2011

Love Scars, Love Covenant Series book 2, June 2011

Absolution, No Boundaries, (short) June 2011

Kinfolk, contemporary/romantic suspense, Champagne Books, July 2011

The Marriage Cure, historical sweet romance (novella), Astraea Press, July 2011

Love Knots, Love Covenant Series book 3 July 2011

Pagan Feast, No Boundaries, (short) August 2011

Witness Protection Program, contemporary romance, Rebel Ink Press, October 3, 2011

A Time To Love, time travel romance, Champagne Books, November 2011

Sing We Now of Christmas, holiday contemporary romance, December 2011 Rebel Ink Press

Also coming in 2012, Guy’s Angel (Rebel Ink Press), In Love’s Own Time (Rebel Ink Press), Miss Good Samaritan (Rebel Ink Press) and Long Live The King (Champagne Books)

Works-in-progress – Valentine romance, “A Patient Heart” and book 4 for the Love Covenant series, Love Shadows.

           



You can also find me on Facebook, on Twitter (@leeannwriter) or at my blog,
A Page In The Life, (http://leeannsontheimermurphy.writerauthor.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg