Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday Fun - Excerpts From Love Tattoo, book one of the Love Covenant series

Sometimes I'm so wrapped up in writing the next novel in the Love Covenant series for Evernight Publishing that I get far away from the beginning so today, as a Friday fun treat, I thought I'd share a few excerpts from the first novel, LOVE TATTOO, the one that began it all.....

In this excerpt, sexy Irish vampire Will Brennan has brought Cara to his home for the first time and at this point, she does not yet know what he is....


Until I inhaled the heady scent of his cigarillo, I didn’t

know he stood at my side, waiting. He stood still as a stone, quiet as

a monk until I turned to him. I touched him, my hand straying over

his rock hard arm like a roaming butterfly seeking a spot to land.

When he turned his face toward me, it looked as vulnerable as I had

seen it, open, and marked with poignant yearning. I could see that my

opinion mattered to him and that moved me.

“Do you like it?” he asked.

“I do, Will. I don’t know why but it feels like home.”

Swift as a striking snake, he tossed the small cigar and lifted

me into his arms. He held me there like a child or a wounded woman

without effort and I put my arms around his neck to steady myself.

His rapid move spun my head like the slot machines at Fitz’s and

before I could catch my breath, he kissed me with such power that I

felt myself drown in the kiss. All my sense of self submerged in him

as I awakened to his passion. His kiss blasted my mouth like a

winter blizzard, his tongue pushed through my lips almost violent

with his desire. Beyond the physical, however, I felt his love pouring

into me, like sweet spring water into the mouth of a heat stroke

victim. That emotion succored me and grounded me so that I knew

that like mine, his feelings grew from deep roots.

He carried me, still kissing me, through the portico and onto

the porch. I thought he would fumble for a key in his pocket but Will

kicked at the door, which opened, swift and smooth. Inside, I saw

nothing in the dimness until he flipped a switch. Light flooded the

entry hall and illuminated the open wood staircase that climbed

upward then curved, graceful as a ballet dancer. Inside, the illusion of

a castle faded, leaving instead the impression of a grand house from

an earlier age. A chandelier created from dozens of glass prisms

dangled from the high ceiling and as I glanced upward, the rush from

our entrance made several of the prisms dance.

Whatever I expected judging from the exterior, it wasn’t this.

No open beams, stone floors, or faux suit of armor carried out the

castle motif. Instead, what I saw so far exuded an aura of simple yet

gracious living. I liked the open appeal of the entry hall very much.

The fact that little furniture – just the table with lamp before the

window, a single brocade chair, a grandfather clock, and an upright

coat rack – was visible expanded upon the idea of space.

“Do you like it?” Will asked cautiously.

“I like it very much.” I strolled deeper into the area, admiring

the simple grace. “Now I want to see the rest. How many rooms are

there?”

“Fourteen.” He delivered the number as if it were small.

“Do you really want to see them all tonight?”

Although his voice sounded mild, his eyes scorched me

with blue fire. I wanted to see every room but I checked the clock.

Time somehow stretched out and then sped up in his presence and I

had no idea how late it might be. Just as I looked at the old clock, it

bonged the hour with deep notes that vibrated through my shoes.

Three o’clock in the morning. Dawn would not arrive for almost

three more hours.

“I want the quick tour.” I said, sending him a gaze back that I

hoped sizzled with heat. “There’s time.”

“Aye.” Will said. “We have time. Follow me.”

A door that opened to the right of the entry hall led into a

long, spacious room that I would have to call a parlor or sitting room.

At the far end, a huge stone fireplace commanded most of that wall.

One wall faced out toward the wild tangle of forest and the others

featured tapestries that looked very old. A desk sat beneath the

windows, complete with an up to date computer, monitor, and printer.

A long vintage— but far from antique— crushed gold velvet couch

sat before the hearth and two chairs of the same material flanked it.

Bookcases filled some of the wall space, filled with many volumes. It

felt cozier than I expected but it looked somehow like the shabby

receiving room of an English manor somewhere.

I nodded my approval and said, “Lead on, MacDuff.”

With a low chuckle, Will returned to the entry hall and led me

through a door almost hidden beneath the stairs. It opened into a

hallway that ran the remainder of the length of the house. Rooms

opened from it and I peeked into each one with Will at my side.

In the formal dining room, a heavy table and matching chairs

dominated the center of the room. On one side, a matching sideboard

stood, regal as a butler displayed some crystal that even I could

identify as Wexford. Heavy golden damask drapes covered the

window and coordinated with the soft carpet that covered the floor.

A china cabinet held what looked to my untrained eyes like fine

Wexford dishes. Dust piled deep though on everything. I ran my

finger over the top of the sideboard, leaving a line scratched in the

dust.

“Don’t you ever use this room?”

“I have not,” Will said, sliding one arm around my shoulders.

“I’ve never had any reason to use it. I don’t entertain.”

“Then why have a dining room?” I asked, curious.

“Most of the furniture came with the house.” Will said. ‘That

added to the charm of it all.”

Now that made sense, I thought. All the furnishings seem to

fit this amazing home.

Downstairs, I toured the rest of the rooms, a surprisingly

modern kitchen with stainless steel appliances, a half-bath in what

must have once been a closet, and another sitting room, this less

formal or large as the first. We did not enter a small room near the

kitchen, either, and I wondered why.

A big back porch extended from the kitchen into the small

back yard area but like the dining room, dust piled high on every

surface even the white wicker furniture, dark with age and dirt. A

plain, steep back staircase climbed upward from an alcove just outside

the kitchen but Will led me back into the entry hall to ascend the main

stair.

The carved banisters were dust free and on the wide landing

half way up, a large stained glass window caught my eye. We moved

up the rest of the flight and stepped into a hallway To my right, a

short hall led to other rooms. I could not tell what they might hold

because every door remained shut. Will turned left, however, and led

me through another door into a huge room.

It spanned the entire front of the house, broad and long.




And one more:
 His fingers failed to

fumble as he unzipped my dress and slid it down to the floor. I

stepped out of it and as I did, I pulled both panties and hose away.

Will undid the bra and discarded it so that we could touch, naked as

Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.

What he did next felt too sinful for any version of paradise but

far too pleasant to stop. His hands touched me everywhere, followed

by his mouth. He explored me with greed and I did the same. As I

fingered his flesh, I noticed how very beautiful he seemed. Even the

hairs covering his arms were so fragile and fine that I marveled at

such exquisite detail. His skin radiated with a translucence that

reminded me of fine pearls, alabaster pale. That red mark I noticed

on his left arm earlier no longer remained and I wondered if I had

imagined it.

He nuzzled my throat, put his head with those black curls

flying everywhere on my breasts. He kissed them, each one in turn

and then suckled at my nipples. They hardened with his touch and

ached, begging for more. He used his teeth on my bare shoulders to

evoke such sensual delight that I thought I could stand it but I did not

want him to stop. Will kissed my throat, from the hollow at the base

of it to each side. I could feel him making love tattoos there. His

mouth suckled against that tender skin and then, as before, I could

feel the sharp prick of his teeth as he used them to break the skin, to

bruise me and leave his mark. Until now, I didn’t much like hickeys.

But, when Will delivered them, his subtle, delicate bites sent delicious

chills through my entire body. After he marked me, he kissed me

with such total passion that I could not see for a few moments.

“That makes twice,” he whispered in my ear but I didn’t

understand and I didn’t even try as he kissed me again.

I could not think about that or anything else but sweet

seduction. As the kiss turned potent, he pulled me to the bed and

without bothering to remove the comforter, he took me there. He

entered my willing flesh with power and might that poured into me

with such strength that I thought for a moment that he just might fuck

me to death, the same thing I thought before.

When a warm front slams into a cold front, violent, severe

thunderstorms erupt and so we came together like a storm. My heat

prickled every nerve ending in my body like lighting, we came

together with the rumble and roar of thunder, and although his skin

remained dry against mine, I expelled enough moisture to fill a rain

gauge.

His cock fit into me like a sword to a sheath, like fist to a

glove, like Cinderella’s foot to the glass slipper. Our connection

raised the physical tension to an almost unbearable level as we

strained for that moment of completion. He weaved in and out of me

like a needle sewing cloth, each stroke of his powerful manhood

sending shudders through me that rippled with pleasure that edged

pain. I needed release and I struggled for it, pushing back against his

thrusts with all my might. As he whispered what must be love words

in Irish, I clawed him with my fingernails, fighting for a hold and

forcing him to that glorious moment of complete debauchery.

If sex could have been food, we would have overeaten. If it

had been wine, we would have been reeling drunk. Some of the most

powerful storms anywhere in North America hit Texas and so I

couldn’t help but compare the all encompassing force of his

lovemaking to a tornado. He tore me apart, scattered me to the winds,

and then brought me home, safe after all. In those moments of

completion, of the ultimate delight, we soared into the heavens, we

crashed among the rocks of the earth, and we died so that we could be

reborn as one.

I knew then that beyond any doubt I loved Will Brennan with

everything that made me Cara. My body belonged to him to do what

he would with it. He could have my heart, he could take my soul, and

he could own me, all of me. I am his, I thought, with such jubilant

joy and bubbling contentment. I knew that I loved him and would for

all eternity. No other man ever had made me feel this way and I did

not believe anyone else could.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg