Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Once Upon A Time.....

We think of that classic beginning for a story and are transported back to childhood.  Once upon a time there was....it's a beginning and no matter what words we use to open our own tales, long and short, it's where we start.

Beginnings are important.  It's where we want to catch the reader's interest, to hook them and draw them into our story.  We want them to want more, to follow the trail of words.

One of my grandfathers (keep in mind that I count five which is a long story but true) always said that he always read every book he started through to the end, no matter how dry or boring it might become because he always learned at least one thing from it.   I used to follow that general rule also and true, I did learn something from each book that I read.  But, the reality is that today, my life has become such a busy, hectic rush that I don't have the reading time that I once did and I don't want to waste any of it on a book I can't enjoy.   So I buy and check out from the library the books that I want to read.  I love the chance to read a sample of a book online.   And if I don't get hooked into the story from the beginning, I probably won't read it  because I just do not have the time to invest.

If I do that, I have no doubt that the majority of other readers out there do too.  Their lives are just as busy and complicated so I try to hook my reader early, make them want to know what happens enough to keep reading.

I may not ever begin a story with the actual words "Once Upon A Time..." but the idea remains, tried and true.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg