Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Little Real Life Romance - 17 Years Ago Today

Seventeen years ago today my life changed and I'm still celebrating.

Today is my 17th wedding anniversary.

On July 7, 1994....and don't bother to check it was indeed a Thursday which sparked comments from some family and friends wondering who gets married on a weeknight...my husband and I got married.

It wasn't Thursday that was important but that we got married on 7/7 at 7pm.   We liked the triple 7 thing.

Thank God we finally got past having the same number of children as our anniversary a long time ago.  Seventeen kids would have put us in the Duggar range and that would not be a good thing, not in this day and age or with our financial capability.

In those seventeen years since I put on my long, white wedding gown, the veil that I fashioned myself and carried the bouquet of white and pink roses down that aisle, we have children.   We both lost our fathers and a grandmother each along the way.   We've moved three times and although my husband works for the same company he did when we were married, he's changed job descriptions several times.  Me, I've gone from working for a large and famous discount store chain to becoming a full time author.

In an era when members of our wedding party have long since divorced and remarried, when several of the family guests present have also changed spouses, we're still together.   Like any couple, we've had our ups and our downs, the good times and the not as good.   There is a reason why the marriage vows mention such things because when we make that commitment, we all must understand that life is not always going to be a rose strewn sunlit path.

But here we are, seventeen years later, still married....and that's a real life romance story.

5 comments:

  1. Aw...! One day, I would love to read a post about how you and your SO met! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet post. Congrats!

    My family and friends thought I was crazy when I got married on a Wednesday, lol, so you're not alone there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your 17th Anniversary. A rarity indeed in today's times. :) Wishing you many more years. :)
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on making a good choice and sticking with it. May you enjoy many more years together and cherish the memories you share.

    Blessings,
    Orea (married in 1974)
    http://orea-highervoice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got married on a Thursday, too..good day to make the leap. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg