Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Finding The Right Voice From Michael Mandrake

I'd like to introduce my guest today but it's more challenging than usual because my talented guest today writes under several names.  But just as a rose by any other name can smell as sweet, reading work by Michael Mandrake, Sharita Lira, Rawiya, and BLMorticia is just as much a reader's treat no matter which byline - the difference is in the voice and flavor.

Today, however, we're focusing on Michael Mandrake's new release A Second Chance so I'll turn things over to Michael......



Finding the Right Voice

                          
Greetings readers! I’d like to thank Lee Ann for having me here today on this lovely Tuesday. I’d like to blog about something writing related that all writers face. Finding the correct voice.

Now, for those of you that don’t know me, I’m Sharita Lira but I write under 3 pennames. Rawiya, BLMorticia and Michael Mandrake. I won’t bore you with a bio since the voice I’m referring to today is Michael so I’ll just say if you want to find out more please have a look at all my links at the end of the post.

When a writer speaks of their voice, they’re not talking alto or soprano.*laughs* In my opinion, they’re speaking of the style in which they write. Every author has a different style so no 2 authors should be the same. Sure, we have similarities. One may be a lot more sensual as opposed to the other that might be a lot more erotic.

Now, imagine the author having to do this with his or herself. *raises eyebrow* The voices that speak to you in certain kinds of stories may clash between pennames. You find your sensual writer has now become you more erotic writer. Maybe your snarky one as made your more long winded and eloquent voice more of a bad ass. *shudder*
I confess, I’m a newbie so I still struggle with this. In certain stories, Michael might pick up BL’s style of smart ass and Rawiya might sound more like Michael. Is this okay? Erm, in some instances yes but not always. The key is making it work for a particular story or character.

In short, Michael Mandrake writes long winded, eloquent, stories about people in love. If humor comes into his tales, it’s more of a dry humor, yet, my latest story, A Second Chance, has a character that would typically be a BL type of man. Captain in Training, Daniel DeClerc. He, along with his new partner, Farris are both smart asses, but because the story is about 2 cops who are facing the challenge of loving after losing a partner in the line of duty, it works.

Can you imagine being gay on the homophobic police force? In order to avoid scrutiny, you must keep yourself closeted. Because they have to deal with this fact, both men settle into personalities where they have to keep themselves laughing to avoid crying.
The characters make a lot of snide remarks, especially Daniel since he’s the one in charge. *snicker* But it works because if he were more of the dry humor type that Michael would usually write then you wouldn’t really connect with Daniel or feel what he is feeling.

Make sense? Hope so.
So in closing, if you’re a writer with penames or even an author with one or your own name, have you found your correct voice? This, I’m sure, takes time to master and I haven’t done so just yet, but I know as I get better, they might not clash as much. However as you can see, sometimes that works.

I’d like to thank Lee Ann for having me on today. Here is where you can find me and my many personalities.

The Literary Triad - http://www.thelitriad.com/#!
Michael Mandrake - http://tabooindeed.blogspot.com
Its Raining Men Blog - http://rainingmenamen.blogspot.com
Now, here’s a blurb and excerpt from my 2nd book with XOXO publishing A Second Chance just released Saturday evening.

 
Out Now



Publisher: XOXO Publishing

Author Michael Mandrake

Buylink: XOXO

Blurb:
Hesitant to begin a relationship with someone new, two police officers who have lost their partners in the line of duty try to deal with their obvious attraction to one another. Will one of them accept the other’s proposition to start over or remain alone because of their places on the police force?

EXCERPT PG

While we continued to chat, I noticed DeClerc in my peripheral. I couldn’t help but stare at him. I moistened my lips, biting the bottom as he came closer.
Damn…
“Um, hello…” I looked past the chief to take a long gander at Daniel. I stood up, extending my hand. “I’m Farris Beason.”
He accepted. “Daniel Declerc. Nice to meet you.” The handshake was firm, his hands soft like a female.
Don chuckled, “See Beason, if you would’ve been in the right frame of mind you could’ve joined Daniel today.”

While we exchanged smiles, I gawked at the pretty face in front of me. Daniel was even more gorgeous up close. The only distraction was the defect on his finger. Who was lucky enough to call him theirs? I had to find out.

“Pity,” Daniel said with a grin. “Maybe when you’ve recovered from your wild night?” He cocked an eyebrow.

I laughed, “Yeah, um…maybe…”
We’d broken our hand gestures but not our gaze. Maybe he did play for my team, but the question remained, who was he married to?



Note: Thanks to Michael for guesting today and after reading this excerpt, I have to tell you - A Second Chance goes onto my ever growing TBR list!
























3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me Lee and for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael:

    Sounds good! I wish you much success with "A Second Chance."

    As for finding my voice. Hmmmm. That's hard. I don't know if I've found mine. I'm told I have but I think each story is different and the "voice" will change depending on the point of view and whether it's first or third person, no?

    But I've only got a couple of books out so I'll let you know when I hit number 12. How's that? Hopefully we can hold hands, walk into the wild together and figure it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww Johnny thx so much.

    :D Youre right about that too. Great point. I should have brought that up. LOL I have certainly written my share in first and third.

    Thx for the kind words and also for your assistance during the writing of A Second Chance

    ReplyDelete

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg