Saturday, May 21, 2011

T.S. Eliot Day

Well, it's not T.S. Eliot day but it should be since there are actual living, breathing, supposedly thinking people 'round the world who believe that the world ends today.  Some are waiting to be raptured up into heaven while others beg the rest of us sinners to repent so we can be spared the tribulation.

I hate end of the world prophecies for several reasons - tending to think that they are, to quote the Bard like my character Will Brennan (Love Tattoo, Love Scars) so often does, full of sound and fury signifying nothing.   I also think that if you want to look for a source to tell when the world might end you just might want to look no farther than the Bible (oh, yeah) that says "no man will know the day or the hour".

So when some jacknapes decides that they actually know more than, well, God, I have to laugh.

Besides, I am old enough that I've heard this end of the world crap before, many times.

And if by any chance, this time someone is right - there's nothing I can do to change it, right, so why worry.

So on this day when the world may or may not (I'm voting not) end, here are the lines from "The Hollow Men" (fits those who started up this hoopla to me) by T.S. Eliot, lines that are probably the poet's most quoted:

This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg