Monday, May 9, 2011

Advance Recon: Ben Hatfield, former Navy SEAL coming soon in KINFOLK

Now that just about every American citizen is proud of Navy SEAL Team Six for taking down Osama Bin Laden and most have learned much more about just what a NAVY SEAL is and what they do, I have to mention something - the hero of my upcoming novel from Champagne Books, KINFOLK, is a former Navy SEAL.

This article, just in The Washington Post is headlined "SEALS go from super heroes to sex symbols"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/seals-go-from-superhero-to-sex-symbol/2011/05/04/AFCuNgAG_story.html


Ben Hatfield, retired due to an injury that almost cost his life, must rely on his SEAL training to protect the woman he loves.

Here's the blurb:

The last thing that writer Katherine Vaughn expects when she flees California for her native Arkansas is to fall in love, especially not with a former Navy SEAL and her cousin's widower.  Nor did she expect that the thugs seeking retribution for her late husband's drug debts would follow her back to Arkansas.

As she and Ben Hatfield fall in love, their happiness faces trials that include an unexpected illness and his grandfather's death.  After Ben's apparent death,  Katherine has little time to mourn when the California  drug lord's minions kidnap her in a final effort to collect on the debt.  Her life is in jeopardy as she wonders if there is any hope left in her heart.

Kinfolk is a novel about the power of love and the strength of family ties.


And now a short excerpt - the first one I have put out from the novel:

The small farms, the lanes that led deeper into the hills and the rugged country appealed to her. It was so different from the L.A. cityscape that she felt safe, hidden in the remote region. The rural background suited Ben and she found it hard to imagine him as a sailor, as a Navy SEAL. Lulled into momentary security, she put her hand on his forearm.


“Why did you join the Navy?”

“What?” The unexpected question amused him. “Because that’s what I always wanted to do, from the time I was a kid. Pop was retired Navy, a World War II veteran. After I went to live with him, he told Navy stories. I went a couple of years to college but then I decided to join the Navy. Money was tight and I felt like I was just marking time so I enlisted.”

Impressed with his ability to make major decisions at an early age, she couldn’t help asking another question.

“And that was okay with your grandfather?”

“Yeah.” Ben sounded nostalgic. “It was fine with him and I had my allotment sent home. Hell, he was old even then so it helped. After basic at Great Lakes, I ended up training as a frogman and three years later, I got my Trident.”

“Trident?”

“A gold trident pin, the SEALs emblem. Only SEALs who make it through training receive one--it’s an award and honor.”

She shook her head. “Don’t take this wrong but it’s hard to imagine you as a Navy sailor.”

“Looks can deceive.” His lips formed a devilish grin. “I was young and tough. I figured I was invincible and spitting in death’s eye is a heady experience. I was crazy--you have to be nuts to be a SEAL because you can’t give a fuck about the consequences. Being a SEAL is 24/7 survival and an ongoing endurance test but I loved it.”




KINFOLK will be out in July from Champagne Books.  Stay tuned for more about the novel, cover art, and an exact release date.  I will be sharing as soon as it's definite.

Or you can check out Champagne Books here:

http://www.champagnebooks.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg