Thursday, April 7, 2011

Out Of The Mouths of Babes And From The Horns of Unicorns

Maybe mixing an old folk saying - out of the mouths of babes comes wisdom (which originally was taken from Psalms) - and Montaigne's philosphy (and from the horns of unicorns, Lord safely us deliver) may be a bit much but both quotes occured to me when my son, age ten, handed me the next inspiration for a paranormal romance on the proverbial silver platter.

Last evening as I was thinking aloud - something I often do - bouncing ideas off my husband and wondering just what paranormal creature I might use in a new work, my son, sprawled on the couch watching a program about Army Ranger training, popped off an outstanding idea in one sentence.

I listened with awe and then decided it had a lot of merit so I rushed off to jot down the basic premise.

An hour or so later as I traveled the hallway and passed his room door, he called out,

"Mom?"

"Yes?"

"When you write that book, do I get part of the money?"

I pause for a second.  "Do you mean will you get a cut?"

"Yes."

Choking back a laugh because my son, who already resembles my late father in face so much it's almost uncanny, is now acting very much like his grandfather, I said, "Well, I guess so."

"How much?" My father's living legacy asked.

"I don't know.  How about five percent?"

"No." Patrick said.  "I'll take ten percent."

My laughter did bubble over then and I said.  "Maybe.  We'll see.  Now good night and go to sleep."

Since, I've marveled at the way he spit out a workable, amazing idea - out of the mouths of a babe - and on the heels of that, skewered me for his cut of the eventual take.....from the horns of unicorns, Lord us safely deliver!

On top of that, I woke up early with the opening paragraph playing in my mind so I had to get up and put it down or I would lose it.

Thank God tomorrow is Friday!

Tomorrow, I'll welcome Anna Keraligh and her world of fairies with her debut novel, Fairy Flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg