Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow And I Agree On Winter

Although he died more than eighty years before I was born, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and I are in agreement.  After reading through his most famous work, "The Song of Hiawatha", which is a very long poem, I came across these lines deep within the poem and they resonate with me at the moment.

Today the sun shines over the deep snow but it is very cold, just above zero with knife life subzero windchills.   Preoccupation with the weather is affecting my output but when I get down to writing in a few minutes, I think I'll be writing about warm places like beaches beneath the summer sun and such.

From Ol' Henry......



Oh the long and dreary Winter!


Oh the cold and cruel Winter!

Ever thicker, thicker, thicker

Froze the ice on lake and river,

Ever deeper, deeper, deeper

Fell the snow o'er all the landscape,

Fell the covering snow, and drifted

Through the forest, round the village.

Hardly from his buried wigwam

Could the hunter force a passage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg