Sunday, January 30, 2011

Robert Frost On Ice

An often quoted adage about the weather in my home state of Missouri is that if you don't like the weather, just wait and it will change.

Yesterday was balmy as springtime, warm temps soaring into the 70's, sunshine, and everyone got out to enjoy it while it lasted.

Today, it's cold, skies are gray, and what the folks at the weather channel are calling a colossal storm is headed our way.   Now I'm not always very fond of the weather channel or their drum beating tactics to make weather into an event but this time, I think they are right because they do agree with my favorite area weatherman, Doug Heady.   Doug is seldom wrong and he's predicting a foot or so of snow, a half inch of ice (more than enough to take down the power lines) and some sleet.

Before the storm hits late tomorrow, I have to get my latest novel contract - for LOVE TATTOO upcoming in April from Evernight Publishing -  in the mail and get my daughter caught up on her immunizations.   I took her twin sister on Friday but reliable Meg didn't want to miss a test in school so now I'm racing against old man winter to get the shots before I'm snowed in again.

It's battle stations today as we get the genny ready just in case, lay in a few extra groceries, make sure I have enough lamp oil, matches, and such.

Did I mention that I hate winter?

I hate winter.

I'm with Robert Frost when it comes to fire and ice; I favor fire.


Fire and Ice



Some say the world will end in fire,

Some say in ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate

To say that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice.

--- Robert Frost


In my case, ice will not suffice - it needs to melt and be gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet it!

The Romance Studios

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6jNp4LDFrXI/TdOM6L9092I/AAAAAAAAAG0/SQaj2BgT66U/s1600/Kinfolk-EBOOK.jpg